Later, the authorities decided to construct a separate market on La Rambla, housing mainly fishmongers and butchers. It is not until 1826 that the market is legally recognized and a convention held in 1835 decides construction of an official place. Construction began March 19, 1840 under the direction of architect Mas Vilà. The market officially opened the same year, but the plans for the building were modified many times. The official inauguration of the structure was finally made in 1853. In 1911, the new fish market was opened and, in 1914, the metal roof that still exists today was constructed.
The MACBA, designed by American architect Richard Meier, has a longitudinal floor plan with a 120 x 35 m base, in which a circular piece that serves to articulate exhibition space, is vertically inserted, passing through all four floors. Richard Meier’s architecture is clearly based on rationalism and alludes to the masters of Modern Architecture, particularly Le Corbusier, by combining straight and curved lines to establish a dialogue between interior space and exterior illumination which filters into the galleries through large skylights. Every floor of the MACBA is bathed in natural light, as Meier uses it to both define and generate space. To make this possible, Meier separated some of the supports from the façade. This same concept determines the atrium space, which is designed as a vertical gallery, parallel to the main façade, which filters and distributes light into the different parts of the building while communicating interior and exterior space through ramps that allow access to all floors and a hall which leads the visitor to the galleries. In September of 2006 the Convent dels Àngels (nº 7 Àngels Street) became the Capella MACBA. Featured in the catalogue of Barcelona's Historical-Artistic Architectural Heritage, this space includes the convent's Gothic temple, constructed in the latter part of the 15th century with a Latin cross floor plan and finished with a central vault. The Peu de la Creu Chapel, constructed from 1568 to 1569, is the only Renaissance Chapel in Barcelona. This buttressed structure shares a wall with the chapel and was built in the 1980s by Lluís Clotet and Ignacio Paricio to reinforce the architectural ensemble.
Project of Antoni Gaudí i Cornet of 1905, built between 1906 and 1910 for Milà family.This is one of the main Gaudí residential buildings and one of the most imaginative houses of the architecture history, this building is more an sculpture that a building.Some of the collaborators in the works (following Permanyer) were the architect Josep Maria Jujol, the brothers Badia as iron forgers, the founder Manyach, the builder Josep Bayo and the plaster Joan Beltran (plaster ceilings of that building are truly exceptional).The façade is an impressive, varied and harmonious mass of undulating stone without straight lines where also the forged iron is present in the shapes of balconies imitating vegetal forms.The lofts are supported by the traditional Catalan "totxo" (brick) arching walls following the style developed by Gaudí in Santa Teresa school and Bellesguard also in Barcelona.The roof show an exuberant fantasy, the chimneys designing vanguard shapes remember warriors in a forest of surprising figures.The building was recognized by UNESCO as "World Heritage" in 1984
The Torre Agbar, or Agbar Tower, is a 21st-century skyscraper at Plaça de les Glòries Catalanes, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It was designed by French architect Jean Nouvel and built by Dragados. It opened in June 2005 and was inaugurated officially by the King of Spain on 16 September 2005. The Torre Agbar is located in the Poblenou neighborhood of Barcelona and is named after its owners, the Agbar Group, a holding company whose interests include the Barcelona water company Aguas de Barcelona.
According to Nouvel, the shape of the Torre Agbar was inspired by the mountains of Montserrat that surround Barcelona, and by the shape of a geyser of water rising into the air. Jean Nouvel, in an interview, described it as having a phallic character. As a result of its unusual shape, the building is known by several nicknames, such as "el supositori" (the suppository), "l'obús" (the shell) and some more scatological ones. It is also somewhat similar in shape to Sir Norman Foster's 30 St. Mary Axe in London, often called "the Gherkin". It has 30,000 m² (323,000 ft²) of above-ground office space, 3,210 m² (34,500 ft²) of technical service floors with installations and 8,351 m² (90,000 ft²) of services, including an auditorium. The Agbar Tower measures 144.4 m (473.75 ft) in height and consists of 38 storeys, including four underground levels.
Its design combines a number of different architectural concepts, resulting in a striking structure built with reinforced concrete, covered with a facade of glass, and over 4,500 window openings cut out of the structural concrete. The building stands out in Barcelona; it is the third tallest building in Barcelona, only after the Arts Hotel and the Mapfre Tower, both 154 m (505.25 ft).